Thursday, February 23, 2012

What the fuck is a language?

Have u ever wondered about this concept of language?? Like how the fuck did we communicate before language existed? I wish I could remember to when I was a baby and knew nothing about this idea of "words" and "phrases", but like everything else that was awesome when I was baby...I can't remember. Did I realize what I was missing out on? I can kind of see how sounds cavemen made could have corresponded to certain simple  nouns or verbs, and I can see how pictures and symbols on cave walls could mean similar things, but when the fuck did things like adverbs, adjectives, conjunctions, and so on come into the mix? When did this idea of paragraphs and punctuation happen? And to think today, how fucking brilliant is it that these "symbols" we write and "sounds" we make all correspond to eachother. It just fucking blows my mind how complex and sophisticated this concept of "language" truly is.



And then another thing...how did different languages end up using the same letters. Like WTF? Did a big meeting take place where the alphabet was created and administered to leaders of certain countries and were given the objective to make a language using these symbols......Oh wait, the major languages came from Latin didn't they. I guess that answers my question....sort of.

No comments:

Post a Comment